February 11, 2005

If I was a paranoid person, I'd be crapping my pants right now.

I was laying on my couch, listening to some nice mellow music, and on the verge of falling asleep, when I was abruptly jarred awake by my cell phone, which was set to ring at the highest volume possible.

The number on the caller ID wasn't anybody I knew, but I could tell by the prefix that it was a Verizon cell phone from the part of town I live in. I figured it was one of my friends calling from someone else's phone. I answered, even though I'm already 100 minutes over my contract this month.

I'm really still not exactly sure what happened next, but apparently, I was intended to be a booty call of some kind, forwarded by a radio station I had never heard of, as an answer to this girl's attempt to request a song, or something like that. She had no idea why they'd send her to me, I had no idea why they'd have my number, and direct young girls to it, and I don't think either of us really understood what this booty call business was all about, or how we got tangled up in it. We asked each other dumb questions like, "who are you?" and "what's going on?", and once both of us were confident that we were talking to each other only by some sort of bizarre mistake, and not because one of us was dicking with the other, we laughed briefly (hers sounded like a very uneasy laugh), commented on the strangeness of the situation, and parted ways.

I told her I hoped she enjoyed her booty call.

She said it was very gratifying, and then closed with, "Bye, person I've never met!"

"Bye, person I don't know," I replied, but I think she'd already hung up at that point.

No comments:

Post a Comment