December 17, 2004

I figured California would be the first to do it, but the tiny, isolationist nation of Bhutan has just enacted the world's first total ban on tobacco. If you're one of the estimated 7,000 smokers in the country, never fear; you're still free to smoke – so long as you do it within the confines of your home, and the fumes don't mix with the outside air. And you'll have to have your cigs imported from neighboring India, too, because it's illegal to buy or sell tobacco products within the country's borders. Not only that, but you can look forward to paying a 100% sales tax on the imported smokes in addition to the purchase and shipping costs.

I know Bhutan has never been much of a trend-setter, but I really hope this idea catches on. The world needs it. If this was a high school newspaper, I would have said, "The rest of the world would do well to catch this law second-hand," but I'm not gonna lower myself to that level.

Amazed that smoking is still allowed in 193 countries,

- Caleb

No comments:

Post a Comment